Quick, easy, comforting and family friendly - what's not to love.
It’s a bit gloomier here today and sliding into autumn, which always gets us craving comfort foods and childhood favourites - baked beans on toast being one of them. But before you reach for the tin how about whipping up your own homemade, nutritious, delicious and budget friendly baked beans. Here’s how!
Prep time: 20 mins. Cooking time 10 mins
- 10 leaves fresh basil, roughly
- 4 sticks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or finely
- 2 tins mixed beans (no
salt/sugar if possible), drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
1. Cook the chopped onion, celery and garlic in a little olive oil over a moderate heat until the onion is soft and translucent
2. Add the tomatoes and beans, season well and simmer on a low heat until the sauce is rich and thick
3. Stir through the basil
4. Serve on wholemeal or sourdough toast or with rice or quinoa
This recipe is from our free Kid’s Recipes eBook which you can download from along with 3 other amazing recipe eBooks packed with simple and nutrient dense meals for the whole family.
Subscribe to our health digest now!
Get monthly updates on the latest health news and upcoming courses to your mailbox.
Use code LovetoLearn
Offer ends 15th February 2022
Fall in love with learning this Valentine's Day!